drey

drey's library

reviews, interviews, and giveaways from an eclectic reader...

In the Courts of the Sun
Brian D'Amato
Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl
David Barnett
The Bone Palace

Etched in Bone (Maker's Song Series #4)

Etched in Bone (The Maker's Song) - Adrian Phoenix After cracking the pages of Etched in Bone, I realized I really should've read the first three books in the series. Not that this couldn't be read as a stand-alone--it can. But the previous books provide background to all of the events in this fourth book. And I like background...Character: Fans of the series already know the hero and heroine, Dante and Heather. I, on the other hand, just met them, and was a bit confused as to the nature of their relationship, until about 2/3 of the way through when I got it. Call me slow... Dante is a tortured soul, for sure. And Heather is a stronger woman than I could ever be. The two of them share something strong though, and Adrian Phoenix's writing makes you feel as though you really know them.Pace & Plot: Etched in Bone is gripping from beginning to end. The first few chapters left me a bit foggy, as it's like one of those TV episodes that start almost-at-the-end, then backtracks to the beginning, and finishes up at the end. With a cliffhanger, of course. Because where would the fun be if it wasn't one? But. Even through the fog and the confusion, I'm totally glad I read this, and I'll be reading books one through three as soon as I can get my hands on 'em!