drey

drey's library

reviews, interviews, and giveaways from an eclectic reader...

In the Courts of the Sun
Brian D'Amato
Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl
David Barnett
The Bone Palace

Darkness Becomes Her

Darkness Becomes Her - Kelly Keaton I really enjoyed the combination of mythology, paranormal, and post-apocalyptic New Orleans in Kelly Keaton's (aka Kelly Gay) first YA urban fantasy. The heroine, Ari, is a seventeen-year-old orphan looking for answers--who's her birth mother? Why did she give Ari up? And what exactly is it that makes her so weird?What she finds takes her to "New 2", the now privately-owned former city of vampires and magic where misfits gather and an ancient Goddess lurks. And Ari discovers there's a curse on her line that is passed from mother to daughter, from forever and a day ago. Determined to be the one who beats the curse, Ari makes a stand. Only, is she strong enough to win? Especially when she doesn't know what she is, and her opponent is a very very strong Goddess?If you're a fan of the genre, you'll love Darkness Becomes Her. Ari is stubborn and headstrong, and refuses to budge on her principles. The band of misfits she finds in New 2 are basically background, except for Sebastian (the boy--there's always a boy) and Violet, a little girl with fangs and a pet alligator. Or was it a crocodile? I forget. But I love Violet.The action starts at the beginning, and doesn't stop till the end, when Ari once again stands up for herself--and makes enough sense to sway the adults to her way of looking at things. Along the way she learns a bit about trust, and a bit about love. I will definitely pick up the sequel--A Beautiful Evil comes out in February 2012.