drey

drey's library

reviews, interviews, and giveaways from an eclectic reader...

In the Courts of the Sun
Brian D'Amato
Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl
David Barnett
The Bone Palace

London Falling

London Falling - Paul Cornell Published on drey's library: http://www.dreyslibrary.com/2013/04/30/blog-tour-london-falling-by-paul-cornell/Paul Cornell’s London Falling is a dark urban fantasy featuring a police unit investigating murders, who unwittingly stumble upon unbelievable evil. Tony Costain and Kevin Sefton are undercover officers who’ve infiltrated the ranks of a criminal organization, and now they have to bring in the big guy, or lose everything they’ve worked for. On the day everything’s set to go down, the mobster seems to have lost his head – and then does so, literally…So now Costain and Sefton, joined by James Quill and Lisa Ross, are investigating his death – his improbable, impossible death. What they eventually find boggles the mind and defies understanding, but they move onward, seeking explanations they’re not sure make sense – any sense – at all.London Falling is a police procedural with meticulous detail, wrapped around an engrossing story. The characters are well-developed, the plot is well-planned, and the story well-written. There’s the supernatural element too, of course – this is an urban fantasy novel after all. And what we have here is evil permeating London, evil that’s been playing in London’s backyard for centuries, always under the radar, laying down plans. For what? Nobody knows. But this brave foursome are going to find out.I couldn’t put down London Falling, and now I can’t wait to read more. It’s too bad I’m surely going to have to wait a while before the next one comes out! If you love dark mysteries with supernatural elements, you’ll want to pick this one up. Or better yet, win a copy! drey’s rating: Excellent!