drey

drey's library

reviews, interviews, and giveaways from an eclectic reader...

In the Courts of the Sun
Brian D'Amato
Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl
David Barnett
The Bone Palace
Dismantled: A Novel - Jennifer McMahon Dismantled took me a while to get into. The first part was a bit slow, for me, and I almost didn't keep reading. The premise behind the story is of a group of four who band together and carry out acts of civil disobedience. Calling themselves the Compassionate Dismantlers, their manisfesto is "To understand the nature of a thing, it must be taken apart".When one of their foursome dies, the remaining three decide to bury her body and move on. Now, Henry and Tess' child, Emma, has an imaginary friend--Danner--who spouts stuff that she shouldn't know, who prompts Emma to send a postcard to the other remaining member of the Compassionate Dismantlers. And when that last of the foursome commits suicide, it triggers questions into what happened a decade ago.But who is Danner? And how does she fit into this story? This is like I Know What You Did Last Summer meets, um, (insert malicious-spirit-returns-to-haunt-those-who-killed-them movie here). Is Emma schizophrenic? Possessed? I'm still not sure. I cannot say I enjoyed this book--I felt like I had to work too hard to get to the end of it. But, I did finish it. Anyway. Take a look at the other reviewers' opinions, before you take my word for it. It might be biased because I spent too much time in the sun and my head is still fried.