drey

drey's library

reviews, interviews, and giveaways from an eclectic reader...

In the Courts of the Sun
Brian D'Amato
Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl
David Barnett
The Bone Palace
Murder Takes the Cake - Gayle Trent Daphne Martin returns to her hometown after putting an abusive husband in jail for trying to shoot her. As she tries to rebuild her life, she's dragged into a police investigation when she finds a customer dead. Not by her hand (or cake), no matter what the local gossips say! After all, she was only trying to deliver a cake...Yes, Daphne bakes. And the descriptions of her cakes are so scrumptious I wanted to run out and get one to eat. Unfortunately, I was traveling when I read this, so no cake for me. Bummer.Well, Daphne finds out quickly how fast bad news flies in a small town, as orders for her cakes dry up. And she has no choice but to try and figure out whodunnit, because a girl has to eat! Then she finds out just how many people would've dunnit, which makes it really difficult to figure out who's friend or foe.Murder Takes the Cake has a heroine that you'd like, with light-hearted humor sprinkled throughout the dialog. The plot flows, the small-town gossip feels real, and the family interactions are complicated, as they usually are.ps: There are recipes for those who like to bake, too. And if you do try 'em out, I'll expect a slice in my mailbox. ;)