drey

drey's library

reviews, interviews, and giveaways from an eclectic reader...

In the Courts of the Sun
Brian D'Amato
Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl
David Barnett
The Bone Palace
Damas, Dramas, and Ana Ruiz - Belinda Acosta Damas, Dramas, and Ana Ruiz is, at its core, a story about a mother and daughter rediscovering their way back to each other. Ana Ruiz is trying to hold it together, to keep things as normal as possible for Diego and Carmen. But Carmen's not playing ball, and is downright witchy to her mom. Boy, if I talked to my mom like Carmen does here, I probably wouldn't be here blogging... Ok, make that DEFINITELY wouldn't be here blogging...Belinda Acosta has created very real characters in this book, from antagonistic Carmen to Diego's attempts to be the man of the house. And Ana Ruiz. What a complex woman she is--so strong at the core, yet so conflicted between trying to keep doing what's best for her children, and what's good for her. Pulled into different directions by those around her, she still manages to blaze her own trail.LOVED it. Couldn't put it down, I even guessed at what all the Spanish words meant because I didn't want to put the book down to go look the words up--that would've interrupted my reading time!