drey

drey's library

reviews, interviews, and giveaways from an eclectic reader...

In the Courts of the Sun
Brian D'Amato
Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl
David Barnett
The Bone Palace
Naked in Death - J.D. Robb I totally blame Chloe Neill for my latest obsession. Yes, I'm talking about that tall gorgeous hunk of a handsome mess, Roarke. Dark hair + blue eyes = YUMMY!Ok. Enough about the boy. Let's get to the book. Eve Dallas is a cop--and one with an attitude. She's good at what she does, even as she battles nightmares from her murky past. The setting is in the future, where food comes out of a machine, automobiles fly, and people have droids to wait on them. But, the crimes still involve murder and mayhem. When someone starts killing prostitutes (or licensed companions, as they're referred to), Eve becomes embroiled in political wrangling even as she tries to find the serial killer before another victim shows up. And this is the auspicious start to her relationship with Roarke--he shows up on her suspect list.I really enjoyed the story--it flows smoothly, the characters are nicely developed, and the plot isn't one of those flimsy excuses that are usually wrapped around a romance. I've already started on #2, Glory in Death, and I'll let you know if I am (a) still drooling over Roarke, and (b) going to keep reading this series. What do you want to bet the answers to both is a resounding YES?