drey

drey's library

reviews, interviews, and giveaways from an eclectic reader...

In the Courts of the Sun
Brian D'Amato
Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl
David Barnett
The Bone Palace
Darker Still - Leanna Renee Hieber I’ve been drooling over this cover since I saw it, and am very excited to be able to share this with you!drey’s thoughts:There’s a dash of something for everyone in this lovely tale reminiscent of Oscar Wilde’s The Picture of Dorian Gray. Romance? Check. Mystery? Check. Evil characters performing dastardly deeds in the cover of night? Check. Unexplainable magical happenings? Check. If I keep going on, there’ll be no surprises left for you…Told through the diary entries of seventeen-year-old Natalie Stewart, Darker Still is a captivating story of a young woman’s quest to free a handsome young man from the prison of his portrait. When Natalie meets Jonathan Denbury, it is because she’s sucked into his painting – the only one who’s ever been able to get in. Or out. What she finds out in talking to him is an unbelievable tale of malicious magic. And so, with the help of a wealthy patron of the arts, Natalie races against time to decipher the clues around his painting.I thoroughly enjoyed this Victorian gothic tale, with all its romance and mystery. Leanna Renee Hieber keeps you on your toes as you tag along on Natalie’s escapades. Add this one to your winter reading!drey’s rating: Excellent!!