drey

drey's library

reviews, interviews, and giveaways from an eclectic reader...

In the Courts of the Sun
Brian D'Amato
Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl
David Barnett
The Bone Palace
The Demi-Monde (The Demi-Monde Saga, #) - Rod Rees The Demi-Monde is a virtual world, created with specific parameters to make sure it’s constantly in turmoil. Why, you ask? It’s stated purpose is as a military training ground, and times of turmoil provide an excellent backdrop for said purposes. To perpetuate the turmoil, the Demi-Monde has been seeded with all sorts of unsavory characters from our history, from Reinhard Heydrich and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria to Grand Inquisitor Tomás de Torquemada and Aleister Crowley, among others.Ella Thomas is persuaded to wade into the chaos of the Demi-Monde, on a super-secret mission — to find and retrieve Norma Williams, daughter of the President of the United States. Apparently Norma’s rebellious nature has ensnared her in the fictional world, for purposes she can’t even begin to guess at.Once there, though, the (scant) preparations Ella received barely gets her to her appointment. But she’s plucky and determined, and makes it to a job, a partner, and a way to avoid the authorities. Though why they’re looking for her is worrisome…I loved The Demi-Monde for its in-your-face sassiness. Everything, and I mean everything is a barely-veiled tongue-in-cheek dig, from the states to politics (and political) to religions. The characters are fabulously entertaining (yes, even the crazies), and the whole package just works.I’ll say now that because it’s so tongue-in-cheek, some may find the content offensive. There’s racism and misogyny, and there are outright caricatures in some of the characters. I took it all with a grain of salt because the storytelling is superb, and I can’t wait to pick up The Shadow Wars to find out what happens next in this crazy world!drey’s rating: Outstanding!