drey

drey's library

reviews, interviews, and giveaways from an eclectic reader...

In the Courts of the Sun
Brian D'Amato
Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl
David Barnett
The Bone Palace
The Golem and the Jinni - Helene Wecker Published on drey's library: http://www.dreyslibrary.com/2013/04/25/tlc-book-tour-the-golem-and-the-jinni/Helene Wecker’s The Golem and the Jinni is a mesmerizing tale, told in a beautifully spare voice, of two lost souls who find each other in a crazy new world, and become friends.Chava is a newly-awakened golem who finds kindness from an old rabbi when she arrives in New York City. Ahmad is a jinn who’s shocked by the passage of time elapsed since he was trapped in his flask. One is timid and shy, afraid of drowning in others’ wants and needs. The other is capricious and selfish, doing as he wishes regardless of possible repercussions.Somehow both learn to function in this strange world, making friends and finding jobs. But as they’re pulled into the world at large, they’re also exposed to danger – the danger of allowing their true selves to emerge, a more frightening thought for Chava than for Ahmad…I loved this story of improbable friendship, and I thoroughly enjoyed Wecker’s weaving of Ahmad’s past with his current day. Chava is intense, a quick study at repetitive tasks, whose compassion may be a part of her being but is refreshing nonetheless. And Ahmad is as fiery as his nature dictates, though he eventually learns what it means to care for – and about – others. The supporting cast are well-defined, and I appreciated the personalities Wecker imbued them with. About the only thing I can say that’s possibly negative is that you’ll have to put aside quite a few hours for this almost-500-page novel. But I promise you won’t regret the time spent with these characters, or with the story. Go pick this up!drey’s rating: Excellent!