drey

drey's library

reviews, interviews, and giveaways from an eclectic reader...

In the Courts of the Sun
Brian D'Amato
Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl
David Barnett
The Bone Palace
The Dark Winter - David Mark Published on drey's library: http://www.dreyslibrary.com/2013/04/11/review-the-dark-winter-by-david-mark/Aector McAvoy is persona non grata with the cops. Never mind that he’s one of them, because his involvement in a crooked cop scandal has stained his reputation. Of course, our hero shouldn’t let others’ opinions disturb him, but it does, and that’s one of the reasons I like the dude. Another reason I liked him? He’s a data guy. Nothing like having facts to support your gut instinct!The Dark Winter is a police procedural with a lot more than just crimes, it’s also wrapped in humanity and the chaos of life in general. A new team, built from the ashes of one that was disgraced. A new leader, whom nobody expected and some don’t want. A trail of bodies that only one man suspects is linked somehow – but how? And why?I couldn’t decide if I liked the characters, plot, or storytelling best. Our hero McAvoy has real depth. His boss Trish Pharaoh unfolds slowly, so you’ll have time to appreciate her by the end of the book. His wife is a gem. His partner could use a bit more, but I’m being greedy. As for the plot – David Mark kept me guessing right up to the very end, so I’m happy. And the story is fluid, slowing in the right places, moving along when it has to.I really enjoyed The Dark Winter, and I cannot wait to get my hands on the next book, Original Skin – which is coming in May!drey’s rating: Excellent!!