drey

drey's library

reviews, interviews, and giveaways from an eclectic reader...

In the Courts of the Sun
Brian D'Amato
Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl
David Barnett
The Bone Palace
Firebrand - Gillian Philip Published on drey's library: http://www.dreyslibrary.com/2013/04/02/review-52-firebrand-by-gillian-phillip/I have to say I’m very happy that Gillian Philip’s Firebrand was published in the US, and I’m definitely happy that I received a copy to review. It’s a fabulous tale of love and loyalty starring Sidhe half-brothers Conal and Seth, one the much-beloved son and heir, the other the rebellious younger son.We meet Seth when he’s dumped at his father’s dun – clan home – and left to fend for himself. He’s not wanted, and everybody lets him know it, so what’s a kid to do but go hang out by himself? Then Conal returns, and Seth has to ride an emotional roller coaster before he figures out where he wants to stand with Conal.Philip gives us characters to care about, and the entire first third of the book lays that foundation, along with introducing the main actors in this play. Then she throws political maneuvering at them, ensuring that nobody’s ready to live a long and uneventful life – and thank goodness for that, or reading this book would’ve been as interesting as watching paint dry. Ok, that’s probably an exaggeration. The second third of Firebrand has the brothers making their way in the mortal world, rife with the unwashed and unenlightened, and even worse, the easily riled up and easily led. And Conal and Seth can do nothing but try to stay under the radar – or suffer the consequences of being different in a world where difference can lead to denouncement, and even death.I really enjoyed this story, especially watching Seth grow up. it takes a while, but he eventually realizes that there’s a lot that depends on his being able to keep his temper in check and his mouth shut. I turned the last page before realizing it, and now I’m anxiously waiting for the next installment, Bloodstone.drey’s rating: Excellent!