drey

drey's library

reviews, interviews, and giveaways from an eclectic reader...

In the Courts of the Sun
Brian D'Amato
Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl
David Barnett
The Bone Palace
Boogie Down - Daniel Serrano Published on drey's library: http://www.dreyslibrary.com/2013/04/01/review-boogie-down-by-daniel-serrano/Detective Cassandra Maldonado is a single mother with New York’s finest, who manages to finagle herself a spot on the NYPD’s most elite homicide squad by speaking up when she knows she won’t be refused, which doesn’t earn her any friends. She needs the money, so she deals with it – anything is worth putting up with if it means a better life for her son.But homicide is very different from the nine-to-five jobs she’s had, and as Cassandra starts to wonder how she’s going to make this work with the stick-to-a-schedule needs of her son, she finds herself smack dab in the middle of a celebrity murder.I liked how Cassandra jumps in with both feet, picking out clues and trying to work with her assigned partner – who’s much nicer than I would’ve expected him to be, considering how she wormed her way in. I liked her smarts, her spunkiness, and her ability to keep moving forward regardless of any regrets. Not that she has the time for regrets, as the investigation drags on and the powers that be are not only anxious for a resolution, but are yanking on Cassandra’s chain as much as they can.The story is to the point, the plot gives you a few surprises to uncover as you turn the pages, and the ending, while neat, isn’t exactly a happily-ever-after for everyone. Fans of cop thrillers should give Boogie Down a whirl, and then come back and let me know what you thought!drey’s rating: Pick it up!