drey

drey's library

reviews, interviews, and giveaways from an eclectic reader...

In the Courts of the Sun
Brian D'Amato
Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl
David Barnett
The Bone Palace

Eternal Rider (Lords of Deliverance Series #1)

Eternal Rider - Larissa Ione Larissa Ione is a new-to-me author even though I have her Demonica series on my bookshelf--they were a giveaway win that I haven't gotten around to yet. But I know she has tons of fans, and thought that Eternal Rider was a great way to get introduced to her work.I don't usually comment on covers, but this one made me think "hmmm, nice bod, but is that supposed to be War?" Ok, so he's Ares, not War (yet), but still. Dude looks a bit young. Great, now I sound like all the fans kvetching about the pick for Dimitri in the VA movie facebook page. Ugh!Anyway, about the book. I thought it started off a bit slow. 18 pages of prologue, eight more before Cara appears, and we're on page 40 before Ares and Cara share the same breathing space. That's a whole tenth of the book! And then, he ups and leaves! Sheesh... Or, maybe I'm a titch impatient?Character: Cara is an ok heroine. She's dealing with a lot of things that can't be possible, and her life is forfeit if the bad guys get a hand on her. And while she doesn't come across as whiny or wimpy, she does spend a bit too much time waiting for the good guys to fix the problem. Not that she's without power at all--as a matter of fact she happens to have a healing affinity, which comes in really handy when faced with a hellhound pup in dire straits.Ares on the other hand is larger-than-life--which he'd have to be, to be one of the Horsemen. He's also the perfect romance novel hero. I mean, how could he not be? He's gorgeous (of course), strong (definitely!), good (except where it concerns hellhounds), and he comes flying to your rescue on a horse. Knight in shining armor, anyone? Of course, he also has his faults. If he didn't, we wouldn't quite enjoy reading along as Cara shows him the error of his ways. *wink*Pace & Plot: The slow beginning notwithstanding, the rest of Eternal Rider flows quickly. There are the usual trust issues and hang-ups to get over, because love never comes easily in romance novels. Add life-threatening demons and hellhounds to the mix and you have an engaging read where the action doesn't let up until the last word, and the infamous Cerberus himself makes an appearance.A hot and sexy read! I can't wait for Immortal Rider to come out in December!